This recipe for chicken fried steak is the answer to all your comfort food country cooking dreams! Complete with creamy gravy of course.
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus extra for salting the meat
- 3/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, plus extra for salting the meat
- 3 pounds sliced cube steak
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Beat the eggs with one cup of milk and place in shallow dish.
- Mix 3 cups flour with 2 teaspoons salt, paprika, cayenne and black pepper, place in shallow dish.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper. Dip in flour, then milk mixture, then back in flour, coating thoroughly each time. Place on empty plate until ready to cook. And save the flour and milk because we need them for the gravy!
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Fry meat 3 pieces at a time until golden, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove to paper towel lined plate and keep warm.
- After frying all the meat, pour out all grease except for 1/4 cup and heat up the grease. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the flour mixture over the grease and whisk it together.
- After a couple of minutes the flour mixture will turn brown. Whisking constantly, pour in 2 cups of the milk mixture. Let gravy come to slow boil to thicken. Add more milk as needed if it gets too thick. This should take 5-10 minutes.
- Generously season with salt and pepper.
- Place meat on plate and spoon gravy over. Serve with mashed potatoes and whatever other veggie you like. I serve with corn to make sure we really DO get enough carbs. Yum yum yum!