Make your own bakery style crumb cake right in your own kitchen with this easy recipe. Yes, it’s got that thick crumb topping that you love!
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk (give the leftover egg white to your dog – they will adore it!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Whisk sugars, cinnamon, salt, and melted butter in medium bowl. Add 1 3/4 cups cake flour and stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking dish with foil, letting some of the foil hang over the edges, and spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Put the remaining cake flour, sugar and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. Add butter chunks one at a time, running the mixer at a low speed until the batter is crumbly.
- Add egg, yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Put the cake batter into your prepared pan and smooth it over. Now get that bowl of crumb topping and roll it into little balls, dropping them onto the cake batter as you go.
- Bake until crumbs are golden brown and a toothpick stuck into the center of the crumb cake comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Whisk confectioner’s sugar and milk together and drizzle it over over the warm cake – use it all! Cool your gorgeous crumb cake on a rack at for least 30 minutes (I know! So hard!) and then remove cake from pan by lifting edges of parchment paper, and cut into squares.