This recipe for french toast with berries is the easy classic version of this breakfast favorite! Serve it up for breakfast and make someone’s day.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices sandwich bread. Does not have to be stale but can be!
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Maple syrup or fruit or powdered sugar for topping. Go ahead, have all three.
- Whisk together egg, milk, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon until well blended.
- Lay bread out flat in a shallow dish with sides. Pour egg mixture over all. Let sit for about 2 minutes, flipping bread over several times, until totally saturated.
- Heat butter in frying pan over medium high heat until melted.
- Transfer soaked breads slices to frying pan. Depending on how saturated they are, you might have to do this with a spatula.
- Fry for about 2-3 minutes, checking the underside by lifting with spatula until golden. Flip over and fry other side until golden brown.
- Transfer to plate and top with syrup, powdered sugar, fruit, cinnamon sugar — whatever catches your fancy.