It’s a conglomeration of cheddar cheese, sour cream, butter and a little sherry and mustard, with some capers swirled in for good measure. It’s ADDICTIVE. And when I asked my mama for the recipe and if I could borrow a little pot, she not only gave me the recipe, but she also gave me this adorable little blue and white pot. Which of course she had hanging around, because this is a woman who buys a couple of bunches of flowers at ShopRite every Friday and turns them into this for my house.
I KNOW. I’m a lucky girl. The recipe originated in a now out of print book called ESQUIRE PARTY BOOK which was published by the company I now work for, which back then was called Harper & Row. Bringing my entire life full circle.
She switched up a few things in the recipe, and so I have christened this recipe My Mama’s Potted Cheese, and I beg you to make it as soon as possible.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon capers, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pack into a crock or a jar and chill for 24 hours.
- Garnish with a few more capers and serve with crackers or celery.