If you read my post from a few days ago, you have caught on that I am currently obsessed with things that can be eaten out of bowls, including this scrumptious, warm and wonderful ham and swiss pot pie. Chunks of ham, thinly sliced potatoes and shredded Swiss cheese bake up in a bath of cream and eggs and mustard, and the pot pie crust is not pastry but rather a crispy, cheesy topping of tender potatoes and golden melty cheese. It’s a pot pie version of your favorite ham and cheese sandwich. It’s comfort food extraordinaire. Let’s make it!This recipe for ham and swiss pot pie trades the pastry for a cheesy potato crust. OH YES.Click To TweetWhy the obsession with food in bowls lately? Well, as I write this I am looking out the window at our second snowstorm in 4 days. This one is a grumpy conglomeration of freezing rain and ice and mean little snow pellets, and it’s coming down on top of the 10 inches we got last week, and it has me not wanting to get out of my cozy bed unless it is to hunker down under my cozy blanket in front of the fire. Exhibit A…
From this very morning. I made a deal with myself that I would get up as soon as I finished the hot mug of tea the Southern husband brought me. I am a deal-breaker. It took another good half hour. (Side note: that mug is from the world’s best diner, the Birdseye Diner in Castleton Vermont, if you are ever up in those parts. Side note Part Two: Note that I am not the only one lounging in bed.)
Although once she gets up, she does like to go out and stand knee deep in the snow and survey her domain. And then come back in. Repeat 1,000 times over the course of the day.
Anyway, when you are snuggled under your covers, it’s much easier to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner out of a bowl, and that’s where this recipe comes in handy. It comes together in a jiffy, especially if you have a mandoline to slice the potatoes (as always, BE CAREFUL with that thing), and it bakes up into warm, creamy, comfort food deliciousness. So stay under that blankie! Spring is coming…I promise!
- 2 medium sized potatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thin
- 1/2 pound ham, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese
- Spray a two quart baking dish with baking spray or olive oil and preheat the oven to 400.
- Pour the cream, milk, eggs and mustard into a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of cheese. Put a single layer of potato slices in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle with ham cubes and then with cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with layer of potatoes.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the layers, and then sprinkle the remaining half cup of cheese over the top.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Take the foil off and continue baking for another 20 minutes until the cheese is starting to get brown and toasty.
- Cool for about 5 minutes and then serve in warmed bowls.