This easy hearty pumpkin chili recipe has all your favorite fall flavors! So the next time you get that pumpkin spice craving, think chili!
I know, I know, I am WAY behind the pumpkin schedule here. I’m still coming to grips with the fact that the heirloom tomatoes and the basil have packed it up for the season, but I’m pretty much there now, and I’m making it up to you with PUMPKIN CHILI. I figure that my wonderful fellow food bloggers have covered the sweet pumpkin front what with their delectable recipes for slow cooker pumpkin granola and pumpkin spice pecan brittle and pumpkin white chocolate pie, so I am going to cover the savory side.
With chili. Spicy, hearty, laced through with creamy pumpkin chili. It’s what’s for dinner on Halloween…let’s make it!This easy hearty pumpkin chili recipe has all your favorite fall flavors!Click To TweetAnd while it gives me the chance to once again show you the best pumpkin picture I’ve ever taken…
…we will not be attacking any actual pumpkins for this easy recipe. Nope, we will be using the good old kind in the can – regular plain canned pumpkin please. At least once during pumpkin season I mistake the canned pumpkin for the pumpkin pie filling that is in the EXACT SAME LOOKING CAN. Have mercy on us, Libby’s, and change up those cans, would you? Thank you.
Meantime, I think I always wait so long on the pumpkin front because I can’t get myself into a pumpkin kind of mood until I see some of these.
And until it is chilly enough for the Southern husband to snuggle up with my mom’s cats next to her wood stove. They will only sit on his lap. Not mine. CATS.
Anyway, once you are in your own pumpkin mood, this chili is an easy, spicy conglomeration of onions, tomatoes, ground beef (I do love to chop my own, but supermarket ground beef works great too), lots of spice and yep, pumpkin. It simmers up until everything is nice and warm and flavorful, and then I stir in just a little lime juice at the end for zing.
Toppings can include anything from sour cream and scallions to cheese and chopped avocado and crumbled up tortilla chips, all of which have appeared on my pumpkin chili from time to time. This time I was all about the green limes and scallions and the sour cream.Print
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Juice from one lime
- Any toppings you like! Sour cream, scallions, shredded cheese, avocado and crushed tortilla chips are all wonderful.
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for about 3 minutes until tender. Add beef and stir until browned.
- Add spices and stir. Add tomatoes and pumpkin and stir again. Add chicken broth.
- Simmer over low for 30 minutes. Taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.
- When you are ready to serve, stir in the lime juice and divide among bowls with your favorite toppings.