Yes, I did exactly what you think I did with these savory French toast BLTs, but first, let me just say that we are We are french toast FANATICS in my house. The Southern daughter has said to me more than once over the years that when she comes home for a visit it is going to be to see me and her dad and to eat some of my homemade french toast. (At least we are in first place!). As a result, I am always pondering new french toast recipes and up until now they have all been variations on the sweet breakfast version. Until I realized that french toast and a BLT could be combined for a dinner version. It’s the same basic concept — bread soaked in egg and fried — but oh, man…this time with chives and fresh ground pepper in the egg, and with a bacon, lettuce and tomato topping. I KNOW. Let’s make it!
Let me start by saying I don’t know about you, but the one and only thing that slightly bothers me about the classic BLT sandwich is crunching my way through sometimes hard-to-crunch-through toast on my way to the bacon, lettuce and tomato. Not that I have anything against toast – let me go on the record as saying there are few things better in life than a slice of homemade bread toasted and slathered with Irish butter – but sometimes toast gets too sassy with BLTs.
A French toast BLT totally solves that problem. Because instead of hard and crunchy toast, you have soft and pillowy French toast that has been soaked in eggs and cream and gently fried up to perfect deliciousness. Just one piece per serving, because this is an open face sandwich that uses the french toast as the bread and lays the bacon, lettuce and tomato loving on top. That means instead of picking up this BLT and eating it and potential having some tomato and (heaven forbid!!) bacon fall out of the sides, you are going to get out your trusty knife and fork and cut this baby into pieces so that you get every tender morsel.
I don’t think I have anything more to say about this one, except, please go make it right now, so you understand what I am talking about. Savory French toast BLTs for dinner for everyone!
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices bread
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 8 slices tomato
- Cook bacon using your preferred method, drain on paper towels, set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, cream and chives. Lay bread slices in single layer in shallow dish and pour egg mixture over. Soak for 3 minutes, turn bread over and soak for 3 minutes more.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. When butter sizzles, add bread and cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
- Layer lettuce, bacon and tomato on each slice of french toast, garnish with chopped chives and serve