This recipe for super easy salmon tartare was definitely inspired by my enduring love for all things sushi. Really really good wild-caught salmon mixed up gently with avocado, scallions, sesame seeds and a few other things to hold it together. A little bit spicy, a little bit creamy, a whole lot of delicious. And as easy as slicing up the salmon and avocado and the scallions and mixing them all up together – it’s almost not fair to call it an actual recipe. So whether you want to wow your friends with show-off appetizer, or serve it up on a regular old Tuesday night…let’s make it!
This easy recipe for salmon tartare with avocado is like your favorite sushi, only fancier! Click To TweetThe last time I made this was just a week or so ago, because I had just finished eating my way through the state of Texas. Utterly amazing barbecue, a delectable lunch of shrimp and noodles with jalapeño pesto at the most adorable restaurant ever, and this.
Yes, I had a chopped brisket breakfast burrito at The Salt Lick at the Austin airport. Don’t judge me.
And because I can’t resist, I also got the chance to hang out with these two beautiful women.
Both immensely talented and a ton of fun. The one on the left makes me smile Every Single Day, and the one in the middle (in addition to selling more than 11 million records) is also the author of this adorable forthcoming book. So between the two of them, it was one delightful Texas evening. One that also included More Barbecue.
So when I got home, I was all about having pure protein and healthy fat and veggies and getting myself back on the straight and narrow…but only if it meant I still got delicious eats. Enter this easy salmon tartare, which includes all those good things. I served it up with some endive leaves for scooping it up, but you could also serve it with crackers or torn toast or even spooned over a bowl of sushi rice. One way or the other, you need to add it to your Must Make Soon list, well…soon!
- ½ pound wild caught salmon filet, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, plus more for sprinkling
- Put salmon, avocado and scallions in a bowl and gently mix.
- Combine soy sauce and oil and pour over salmon mixture. Stir again.
- Add sesame seeds and stir once more.
- This can be spooned into a bowl and served that way, but if you want to get the look that is in the picture, pack it into a smooth sided bowl and then invert it onto a plate, patting any stray pieces back in place. One way or the other, sprinkle with a few more sesame seeds and serve!