I have always been completely tempted and so far not brave enough to make beer can chicken. You know, the kind where you place a partially full can of beer inside a chicken’s, um, cavity, and then roast the whole thing on the grill? I hear tell that it makes a lovely, tender, aromatic chicken, but I can’t seem to escape the thought of the chicken exploding out of my grill and into the neighbor’s yard, propelled by the vapors of a can of Bud Lite, ruining my reputation as a food blogger for all eternity. But since the whole idea of chicken and beer has me mesmerized, I took the coward’s way out and came up with a way that involves chicken, beer, a few onions, bbq sauce, a slow cooker and not much else. And dang if it wasn’t delectable!
You need a few boneless chicken breasts, a chopped sweet onion, and some of this.
When suppertime rolls around, scoop out the chicken (which will now be falling apart tender) and shred it with two forks. Take out the onions with a slotted spoon and put them in a bowl – you are going to want those in a few minutes to top your sliders.
Now take that tender shredded chicken and stir it around with some of your favorite bbq sauce. We are partial to Blues Hog in our house.
The amount is up to you…I start with about 1/2 cup and taste and add, taste and add. It’s a hard job but somebody has to do it.
Now! Get yourselves some slider rolls (and if you can’t find slider rolls, plain old hot dog rolls cut in thirds are a terrific substitute). Pile on a generous amount of shredded chicken, and top it off with some tender onion. Pop on the top of the roll and you are ready to go. And you know the beautiful thing about sliders…you are legally obligated to eat more than one.
If you are braver than I am and want to go for the authentic grill beer can chicken, the always wonderful Simply Recipes has a recipe you can find by clicking here. But if you are still working up your courage…slow cooker chicken silders. Guaranteed chicken and beer goodness.
- 3 large boneless chicken breasts
- 2 sweet onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 bottle of beer
- Your favorite barbecue sauce
- 8 slider rolls (or hot dog rolls cut into thirds work great as well!
- Put all ingredients except bbq sauce and rolls in a slow cooker. Cook for 8 hours on the low setting.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Mix with as much of your favorite bbq sauce as you like (add it gradually and taste as you go!)
- Scoop out onions with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Spread a generous amount of shredded chicken on each slider roll, top with onions and the top of the bun and serve!