Next, tomatoes. I like cherry tomatoes for this one. These days you can get the local ones in all kinds of pretty colors.
Next, the nicest ricotta you can find. Which you can absolutely go and buy, but trust me when I say if you have a spare 10 minutes, you can also make your own and it will be better than anything you can buy. Click here for that super-simple recipe. And here’s my favorite shot of my own ricotta draining over the sink.
Okay! First you want to toast up your bread. You can do that in the toaster, but I like to grill mine. It gives it that delectable charred taste that you are only going to get from your grill. That is the extent of the cooking involved in this one – all that is left is to spoon a generous – generous I tell you! – amount of ricotta on the grilled bread, shower it with tomatoes, drizzle some olive oil on top and grind some black pepper over the whole thing.
He seemed pretty happy.
Serves: Serves 2 as a main course and 4 as an appetizer
- 4 slices of hearty bread
- Olive oil for brushing on the bread and drizzling
- 1 to 1½ cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Brush the bread slices on both sides with olive oil and grill or toast them to your liking.
- Top the grilled bread with a generous amount of ricotta cheese and tomatoes.
- Drizzle the toasts with olive oil, grind on some black pepper and serve!