While the pizza was cooking away in the oven, I tossed together some frisee lettuce, a few cherry tomatoes and a little balsamic vinaigrette. I let the pizza cool for just a minute or two and then spread the salad over the whole thing.
The Southern husband, being the chivalrous guy that he is, let me have that last slice. But only after I promised to put salad pizza in the regular menu rotation. See what good things happen when you eat your veggies?
Serves: Makes 2 ten inch pizzas
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- ¾ cup water, room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup ricotta (fresh if possible!)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded fontina
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups frisee lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halves
- 1-2 tablespoons bottled balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- 1. Make the pizza crush dough: Pour the water in a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- 2. Put the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil with the mixer on low speed, and then pour in the yeast and water mixture until it comes together. The dough will be sticky.
- 3. Scoop out the dough and form it into a rough ball. Place it in a mixing bowl that has been coated with olive oil, cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for about two hours (longer is fine too if you want to make it ahead).
- 3. When you are ready to make the pizza, preheat the oven to 375.
- 4. Place the dough on a floured surface and cut it in half. Roll each ball out into a ten inch circle. The circle doesn't have to be perfect - the interesting shapes are part of the fun of homemade pizza! Place the dough on cookie sheets.
- 5. Top with the fontina and mozzarella, and then drop dollops of ricotta on top. Scatter thyme on top and grind on some fresh pepper.
- 6. Bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and the crust is golden. Remove and cool for a couple of minutes.
- 7. While the pizza is baking, toss together the lettuce, tomatoes and dressing. Spread on top of the pizza, cut into wedges and serve.