So even I don’t know what possessed me to make a red pepper version of hummus, but I did, and I loved it. That’s right, Mom – I snuck red pepper into something all on my own! But this doesn’t give you free reign over slipping eggplant into stuff. Just so we are clear. I love you, but still no eggplant or mushrooms or beans.
The other part of this story is that after whining like a nap-deprived toddler over the fact that I really don’t like my perfectly good $20 blender, the Southern husband finally couldn’t take it any more and showed up one day with a Vitamix.
This recipe will also work perfectly well in your food processor, but since I was such a pain in the neck about the whole blender thing I am using the Vitamix for everything from hummus to soup to cake. Yup, I made a banana cake with it the other day. Stay tuned to this channel for that one.
Back at the hummus, it’s perfectly wonderful just as it is, but if you sprinkle a little paprika on it…well, you are pretty much transported to red pepper hummus heaven.
Serves: Makes about 1½ cups
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed well
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 ounces roasted red peppers (the kind in the jar)
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1. Put all ingredients except paprika in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- 2. Add a tablespoon or two of water if you like your hummus a little creamier. Blend again.
- 3. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with paprika and serve!