They were kind of happy. As in, not a single cheesy crumb left on the plate happy. And while the Southern husband sidled into the kitchen that day and allowed as to how he wouldn’t mind being a fifth recipe tester for that version, this time I wanted to try something just a teeny bit more, well, upscale. Something for the old folks in the house instead of the adorable college kids. And this fancy variety is just as easy as making the classic kind, but the mustard and the chives give it a delicious little sneaky bite of flavor…and there is nothing like soft, melty brie cheese to make you close your eyes in utter scrumptious happiness.
Or keep them open and look like this.
It’s all about keeping those smiles coming. And if I have to resort to grilling brie cheese with mustard and chives, you know I’m going to do it. I might just have had a huge grin on my face as well. So the next time you want to fancy up your grilled cheese sandwich? Brie cheese, everyone!
Serves: 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices country style bread
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 6 slices Brie cheese, chilled (this makes it easier to slice! And yes, you can leave the rind on.)
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Butter all four slices of bread with butter, spreading the butter all the way to the edges.
- Place two slices butter side down. Spread the other side with mustard, then divide the Brie among the two slice. Sprinkle with chives and top with the remaining bread slices, butter side up.
- Heat a skillet or electric griddle to medium low. Place the sandwiches on the skillet and cook slowly until the first side is golden brown. You want to cook these at a leisurely pace so the cheese has time to melt…it may take 5 minutes or so per side. Flip over carefully and cook until the other side is golden.
- Serve at once, making sure one of the folks who gets one of these sandwiches is YOU!