A girl takes a bunch of those Tots, thaws them out, wraps them in bacon with a slice of jalapeno pepper inside, fastens the whole thing together with a toothpick and deep fries them for about 2 minutes until the bacon is cooked and the Tot is sizzling. Then she drains them for a few minutes on a paper towel and serves them to the Southern husband in place of a normal supper that night. Hey, it was meat and potatoes and a vegetable! He didn’t look like he minded.
One word of caution…the jalapeno slice does give these babies a fair amount of sneaky heat, so if you have anyone in your crowd who doesn’t like that amount of spice, simply wrap a few Tots just in bacon with no pepper inside. They are just as good mild as they are spicy.
- 24 Tater Tots, thawed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced into thin rounds
- 12 slices bacon, cut in halves
- Canola oil for frying
- Pour about 2-3 inches of canola oil into a heavy deep pot (a Dutch oven works great for this) and heat to 350 degrees.
- While the oil is heating, wrap each Tot in a slice of bacon, tucking a jalapeno slice inside. Spear everything together with a wooden toothpick.
- Carefully lower the Tots into the oil with a metal slotted spoon or spider. Cook until bacon is done, about 2 minutes. Remove, drain on paper towels and serve!