Anyway, here’s how you make the salsa: chop up your tomatoes into nice small pieces and put them in a strainer over a bowl, or right into your sink. Sprinkle them with a little salt and let them drain while you are making the rest of the salsa – this will let the juice run out a little so your salsa doesn’t get too soupy.
Now cut the kernels off of two corn cobs – I find the best way to do this is to stand the corn up in the center of a dinner plate, holding it firmly at the top and carefully sawing the kernels off with a small paring knife. Start halfway down the ear and then turn it over to get the other half. Do NOT be tempted to cook those lovely little kernels – they are going to be sweet and crunchy and wonderful just as they are. Put the kernels in a bowl and zest one lime into the bowl, and then squeeze the juice from that lime into the bowl as well. Now peel, pit and slice up one avocado and add to the bowl. At this point your tomatoes are ready to add as well, so gently pour them in there.
Here comes the fun part: with clean hands, gently mix it all together. Sure, you could do this part with a spoon, but it won’t come together as well, and you might mush up the tender avocado. Now grind in a little pepper and a couple shakes of hot sauce – we want a little heat to give the sweetness of the corn and tomato and the buttery avocado a run for their money,
And that’s it! You are now permitted to open the bag of chips, dig in and enjoy these lovely end of summer tastes. And you know, I’ve actually been missing my sweaters…a little!
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ears of corn, husked and kernels cut off
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- Hot sauce
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Place chopped tomatoes in a strainer over a bowl or in the sink and sprinkle with a little salt. Stir gently and let sit while you make the rest of the salsa (this is to let some of the juice escape.)
- Place corn and avocado in a medium sized bowl.
- Zest the lime and add the zest to the bowl. Cut the lime in half and juice it and add that to the bowl as well.
- Pour in the tomatoes and with clean hands, gently mix everything together.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and a couple shakes of hot sauce, and serve with chips.