That time when you got an insatiable craving for guacamole. That time when you saw a jar of horseradish in your fridge when you were in the middle of making the guacamole. That time when you decided to throw caution to the wind and add some horseradish to your tried and true guacamole. That time when you thought you might never be able to go back to regular guacamole recipe ever, ever again. Yep…I remember that time.
Side note: does anyone know why it is called horseradish? I get the spicy delicious “radish” part. I’m less clear on the horse part.
I’m thinking someone out there will know and tell me, though.
Meanwhile, back at the guacamole…this is a fun and spicy variation on classic guacamole, which is as fast and easy as mashing together ripe avocado, mixing in some fresh lime juice and coarse salt, and then lacing the whole thing with a generous spoonful or two of horseradish. Start with a tablespoon, give it a taste and then add more if you like things a little spicier. Sprinkle some scallions on top and you are ready to roll. Once you have your guac all ready, you can of course do the classic thing and have it with chips…
My current favorite chips are the Xochitl Chips and I have a complete and total tortilla chip crush on them. Or if you want to get fancier, you can make Cookie Sheet Nachos, or Stuffed Taco Potatoes, or Shrimp In A Jar.
Or chips. Chips work just fine. Horseradish Guacamole!!Print
- 2 avocados, nice and ripe
- Juice from one lime
- 1-2 tablespoons horseradish
- Coarse salt
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Peel and pit avocados and mash with a fork or a potato masher until they are the consistency you like.
- Add lime juice and stir. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of horseradish. Taste and add the second tablespoon if you like things spicier!
- Sprinkle the scallions on top and you are ready to serve!