Once the orzo is tender (about 15 minutes), stir in some shredded squash (either zucchini or yellow squash will work fine) and a generous amount of shredded cheddar. Stir it around, cover the pot, turn off the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes. When you take off the pot cover, you will have a glorious, cheesy, delicious concoction of this.
Serves: 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ½ cup orzo pasta
- 1 small summer squash (yellow or zucchini), shredded
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium high heat. Saute shallot until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and carrots and bring to a boil. Add orzo, reduce to a simmer and cover pot. Cook for 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in squash and cheddar. Put the cover back on and let the pot sit for 3 minutes.
- Stir, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve!