Now place your roasting chicken breast side up in the skillet on top of the veggies, and tuck the bread cubes all around it. Rub the top of the chicken with softened butter and scatter some fresh herbs on top. Pop it in the oven for about 90 minutes, at which point it should be golden and perfect, and people and dogs will start drifting into your kitchen with hopeful, hungry eyes.
Once the chicken is done, take the skillet and put it on the stove. Gently lift the chicken out and put it on a cutting board and tent some foil over it while you finish the dressing, which you’ll do by pouring some chicken broth into the skillet and stirring the dressing around over low heat for about 5 minutes. Now cover the skillet and let THAT sit while you carve up the chicken. I know, lots of sitting. But once the chicken is carved, the dressing will be soft and perfect, and soon you will be the one sitting – around your table, watching the happy faces of folks eating chicken and dressing.
And guess what? Only one lonely skillet to wash!
Adapted from Cooks Country
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 whole roasting chicken (don't forget to take the giblets out of the inside!)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 2 tablespoons each chopped fresh sage and thyme
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 cups bread cubes (from country or Italian bread)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Dry chicken with paper towels. Rub two tablespoons of the butter over the chicken.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large, oven-proof skillet. Saute onions and celery until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in half the chopped herbs.
- Turn off the burner and nestle the chicken on top of the veggies, breast-side up. Tuck the bread cubes all around the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining herbs over the chicken.
- Bake the chicken skillet until chicken is done, about 90 minutes. (If you are using a quick read thermometer it should read 175 in the chicken thigh).
- Transfer chicken to a carving board and loosely cover with foil.
- Pour the chicken broth over the dressing in the skillet and stir over low heat until well combined and warm.
- Slice the chicken and serve with a spoonful of the dressing. Have someone you love wash out the skillet.