So while these may be the ugly duckling of the cookie world, they will have my heart forever. Because sometimes the small, cozy, homespun things are the best things of all. Like taking a nap with your dog on a Sunday afternoon.
Yep, these are the cookie equivalent of snoozing alongside your best furry friend. Weird as that may sound, I don’t know any higher praise than that!
Serves: About 36 cookies
- 1½ cups dark brown sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dry ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2¾ cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- Granulated sugar for rolling
- 1. Place brown sugar, butter, spices and the egg and egg white in a mixing bowl and beat at medium speed until well combined.
- 2. Whisk together flour and baking soda and slowly add to brown sugar mixture, beating at low speed.
- 3. Transfer dough to a large piece of plastic wrap. Shape into a ball and refrigerate for a half hour.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350. Roll one tablespoon portions of dough into balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place on greased cookie sheets about 2 inches part and press down gently on dough balls with the bottom of a drinking glass until slightly flattened (dough will crack a little).
- 5. Bake for 11 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet and then remove to wire rack to cool (but make sure you try at least one while they are still warm!).