It’s chock-full of things like fried oyster po-boys, burgers stuffed with blue cheese, and angel food cake sandwiches with berries. Yum, right?? But as soon as I got my hands on my copy, I went right for the New Orleans shrimp melt, which is spicy shrimp salad sandwich with Gruyere cheese melted on top. Quick, easy and oh-my-goodness delicious. Emeril’s version calls for making the sandwich with toasted slices of brioche bread and while I’m sure that is fabulous, I departed just the tiniest bit from his recipe by using toasted top-split hot dog rolls, which are what I use for lobster rolls. I happened to have them in the fridge, and they turned out to be just right – soft and easy to handle.
Now that I have scarfed down the world’s best shrimp melt, I have about 25 recipes in this fun cookbook flagged to make as soon as humanly possible, but in the meantime I want to share the deliciousness with you guys. So in addition to the shrimp melt recipe below, I have three copies of EMERIL’S KICKED UP SANDWICHES to give away. Just leave me a comment telling me your favorite sandwich (pb&j’s are perfectly okay!) and in a week I will randomly pick three winners.
This giveaway is now closed. But you can still enjoy some shrimp melts!
Shrimp melts! Bam!
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 pounds shrimp (large or medium), peeled and deveined
- 4 hot dog rolls
- Butter, room temperature
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (preferably fresh)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco or whatever your fave is)
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1½ cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Pour about 4 quarts of water into a large pot and add lemons, Old Bay, bay leaves and salt, and bring to a boil. Add shrimp and cook for two minutes, then drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool them down. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, chop them into bite-sized pieces.
- Spread the inside of the hot dog rolls with butter, and run them under the broiler until they are golden brown, watching them carefully to make sure they don't burn.
- Mix together mayo, onion, herbs, lemon juice, mustard and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and then fold in shrimp.
- Fill the hot dog rolls with shrimp salad. Transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet and top with shredded cheese. Place the shrimp sandwiches under the broiler until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes, watching carefully. Serve at once.
Adapted from the very delicious EMERIL’S KICKED UP SANDWICHES