It’s peppermint season! I love peppermint all year round, so this time of year (when we are pretty much required to eat as much peppermint everything as possible)…well, let’s just say I do everything within my power to do my part. And things like these adorable little peppermint cheesecakes make it pretty easy to both eat peppermint deliciousness and still have room left over for all the other holiday goodies.
One of the other wonderful things about these babies? No baking. Nope, once you have the batter whipped up, they go into the freezer instead of the oven, so no fretting at the oven door about whether your cheesecake is actually cooked through or not…all the cooking is going to take place in the good old reliable freezer. You’re hooked, right? Here we go.
You need about 25 of those mini foil cupcake wrappers. You’re going to drop a Nilla wafer cookie into the bottom of each one, and it’s going to fit in there perfectly…that’s how you will know you have the right size. Next, you are going to beat some cream cheese with your mixer until it is nice and fluffy, and then stir in some condensed milk, some Cool Whip (don’t you love recipes with Cool Whip? I do!) and just one single drop of red food coloring…that’s all it’s going to take to turn this deliciousness peppermint pink. And best of all, a generous amount of crushed peppermint candy.
Now fill up those cupcake wrappers with the cheesecake batter, place them on a cookie sheet and freeze them up until they are set…that’s going to take about four hours. When you are ready to serve them, drop a spoonful of whipped cream on the top of each one, along with a little more, yep, peppermint, and then you are ready to serve.
Now, a word about serving. These babies are a little messy, so if you are having an elegant dinner party you will probably want to peel the wrappers off and put two or three of them on each plate and serve them with your pretty dessert forks. You can unwrap them in advance and then pop them back in the freezer until you are ready to serve them up. If you are going casual, let your guests do their own upwrapping…just have some napkins at the ready on the remote chance that they don’t lick all the cheesecake off their fingers.
Happy peppermint, everyone!
- 25 vanilla (Nilla) wafers
- One 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- One 14 ounce can condensed milk
- 1 cup crushed hard peppermint candy, plus extra for garnish
- 1 drop red food coloring
- 2 cups Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Arrange 25 mini foil cupcake wrappers on a cookie sheet.
- Beat cream cheese with a mixer until fluffy. Stir in condensed milk, candy and food coloring until well-combined. Stir in 2 cups Cool Whip.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture into cupcake wrappers and freeze until set, a minimum of four hours.
- Before serving, beat heavy cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- If you are going to serve these out of the wrappers (you can serve them with or without, depending on how fancy you want to be), remove the wrappers before garnishing with a spoonful of whipped cream and a little chopped peppermint.
These are a little messy to eat by hand, so if you are serving these for a fancy dinner, take the wrappers off after they are set and re-freeze them until you are ready to garnish and serve with forks. Otherwise just let your guests unwrap them on their own, and have napkins ready!