A little while back I made some Boston Cream Pie cupcakes. They were all we know and love about Boston Cream Pie, only in single serving cupcake form, and oh did those cupcakes get some love…both in my kitchen and on this blog. So I figured, what’s good for Boston Cream has got to be good for Banana Cream, right? Oh yes. Very right. Very very right. Please meet Banana Cream Pie cupcakes.
Once again, I turned to my friendly boxes of cake mix and pudding. You could definitely make yellow cake cupcakes and banana pudding from scratch, but I gotta tell you that with everything going on with this cupcakes, the box mixes worked out just fine. Let’s put it this way…there were no leftovers. Not a one.
Anyway, you start by baking up those cupcakes, and when they are cool, use a paring knife to cut a deep cone shape in the center of each one.
What you do with those cones is up to you. I was all set to to crumble them and save the crumbs to toast and sprinkle on ice cream at some point in the future…but let’s just say they didn’t exactly last long enough for me to crumble them. Ahem.
On to the banana part of these cupcakes. Now, in classic banana cream pie, you’ll find sliced banana in some portion of the pie, but what I settled on was cutting up bananas into little cubes and stirring them into the banana pudding. All set on the banana-ness. Next I scooped a generous spoonful of banana pudding into the center of each cupcake, letting it spill out over onto the top of the cupcake just a smidge.
Last but not least…the cream! As in, whip up some heavy cream, some sugar and a little vanilla until you have nice, soft, fluffy whipped cream. Use a spoon or a pastry bag to top each cupcake with a nice dollop of whipped cream, and as the final perfect touch, sprinkle the tops with some graham cracker crumbs. Classic banana cream pie is made with a graham cracker crust – we have graham cracker sprinkles!
These babies are best enjoyed the same day you make them. And trust me when I say, that will NOT be a problem!
- I box yellow cake mix plus ingredients to make the cake batter
- 2 boxes instant banana pudding plus ingredients to make the pudding
- 2-3 bananas
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Four graham cracker squares, crushed into crumbs
- Bake cupcakes according to package directions, cool completely
- Make pudding according to package directions, set aside in fridge while cupcakes are cooling
- Make whipped cream by whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Keep in fridge while assembling cupcakes
- Using a paring knife, cut a deep cone out of each cupcake.
- Stir chopped banana into pudding. Spoon a generous amount of pudding into the center of each cupcake, allowing some to come out over the top.
- Using either a spoon or a pastry bag, top the cupcake with a generous spoonful of whipped cream. Garnish with graham cracker crumbs and serve. These cupcakes are best eaten the same day they are made.