But if you use relatively little pears (I love Anjou pears for this one), they make a delicious, dramatic appetizer that will look and taste great at your holiday shin-digs. The sweet pear, the spicy, tangy horseradish sauce and the roast beef…somehow these all team up to make a pear version of the best roast beef sandwich you’ve ever tasted. It’s like magic.
So here’s the drill – you need nice ripe pears and thinly sliced rare roast beef from your deli counter. Whip up the sauce by stirring together some sour cream with a generous amount of horseradish. Now slice the pears in half, arrange a little roast beef on top, spoon on some sauce, and garnish with a little parsley and cracked pepper.
This is a hearty snack, so if you want to make things a little daintier, you can core the pears, slice them into 1/2 inch rounds and make smaller versions. Personally, I think the more the merrier, but I am not the dainty type. But if you are…that’s an option!
Now I guess I really should go and put my sundresses away, right?
Serves: 8 appetizer or salad servings, depending on the size of your pears
- 4 pears
- ¼ pound rare, thinly sliced roast beef
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons horseradish
- Fresh parsley and cracked pepper for garnish
- Mix sour cream and horseradish together
- Cut each pear in half lengthwise
- Assemble by arranging a slice of roast beef on each pear half, topped with a generous spoonful of horseradish cream and some parsley and cracked pepper for garnish
- Serve at once!
Lightly adapted from Real Simple