And then just like that, they all up and left me for college. My house went from a noisy conglomeration of loud Taylor Swift music and endless loops of Harry Potter movies and piles of sneakers left all over the place to….QUIET. Just me and the Southern husband and the dog, and nobody asking me if I could please make those no-bake s’mores brownies for the millionth time.
But then the teenager started making new college friends. Sure, they were all fourteen hours away too, but happily for me, there are Christmas breaks and spring breaks and summer breaks, and she’s started to bring some of them home with her.
See that adorable one on the left? She came to see us this summer and specifically requested my chicken enchilada soup. I was in heaven. And that pretty girl in the middle? I found out that just like me, her heart beats faster at the sight of anything made with an avocado. And so my head started spinning with possible avocado things I could cook up for when she comes to visit too. And lo and behold….guacamole soup!
So now that we have that covered, let me tell you about this quick and heavenly soup, which yes, is just like your favorite dip in soup form. You take 2 or three nice ripe avocados and whirl them around in your food processor with some fresh lime juice until they are smooth and creamy. Stir in some spices, some garlic and a little bit of Tabasco. Now swirl in some sour cream, and finally thin the whole thing out with some water (you can add more or less of the water depending on how thick and creamy you like your soup). Now all you have left to do is scatter some scallions and chopped tomato on the top and there you have it – guacamole soup!
If I had been able to find any tortilla chips in the cupboard I would have crushed a handful and sprinkled them on top as well. But since my teenager and her friends are fourteen hours away at college (did I mention that?) I don’t tend to have tortilla chips lying around. Sigh.
So there you have the saga of the guacamole soup. Ryan, just let me know when you are coming to visit…I’m ready!
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 2-3 ripe avocados (enough to make 1½ cups of avocado puree
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- Dash of Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1¾ cup sour cream
- 3 cups water (a little more or less depending on how thick you like your soup)
- Chopped tomatoes and scallions and crush tortilla chips for garnish
- 1. Peel and seed your avocados and puree them with the lime juice in a food processor until smooth.
- 2. Transfer puree to a large bowl and stir in all spices, Tabasco and garlic. Add sour cream and stir until completely combined and smooth.
- 3. Add water a cup at a time, stirring well, until the soup reaches the consistency you like. You may need a little extra water if you like it thinner.
- 4. Chill thoroughly (at least a couple of hours) and then serve, garnished with tomato, scallions and/or crushed tortilla chips!
Recipe adapted from the marvelous Frog Commissary Cookbook