It also gave me the chance to do one of my favorite tricks, which is to hull strawberries with a straw. Until you actually try this trick, it’s hard to explain how wonderful it is, so if you want to give it a go, click here for the particulars.
Anyhow, the strawberry hulling is the longest part of the process. After you have your berries hulled and sliced, you need to make the super-quick cheesecake part of the parfait. Whipped cream cheese, vanilla yogurt, a little sugar and some vanilla…all you do is stir those together until they are nice and smooth and combined…and magically they form a taste sensation that is pretty dang close to cheesecake.
Now take whatever pretty glasses you have on hand and sprinkle in spoonful of graham cracker crumbs. Now a layer of berries, then a layer of cheesecake mixture. Repeat the layers and then top with a couple of berry slices, just for the prettiness.
You can now dive right in, or you can pop them in the fridge and save for later in the day. Personally I like the texture better right after they are finished, but the Southern husband liked the firmer chilled down version. I guess this is one of the reasons I love him so – the whole “opposites attract” thing, and the fact that he waits patiently in Anthropologie while I browse for hours amidst the embroidered aprons and maxi skirts.
That in and of itself deserves a strawberry cheesecake parfait, don’t you think? Me too. Here’s the recipe!
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 cup whipped cream cheese
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt (either non-fat or regular is fine)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 graham crackers, crushed into crumbs
- 15 strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1. Mix cream cheese, yogurt, sugar and vanilla together with a fork until smooth.
- 2. Assemble parfaits in glass parfait dishes or wine goblets as follows: a generous spoonful of graham cracker crumbs, a layer of berries and a layer of cheese mixture. Repeat layers and garnish with a few strawberry slices.
- 3. The parfaits can be eaten immediately or refrigerated for a few hours.
Banana Parfaits from Framed Cooks
Skinny Strawberry Fool from Skinny Taste
Lemon Berry Yogurt Parfait from Perfect Pantry