Grilled shrimp rolls are one of my very favorite things to make in the summertime. Quick, easy, scrumptious, and there’s just something about them that just plain tastes like all the best things about summer. And now that it’s the middle of August and it’s dawning on me that I actually have to let the teenager go back to college in a few days (sniffle!), I’m taking a quick trip down this summer’s memory lane.
(Please prepare yourself for a flood of Instagram pictures. One of the things I did this summer was discover Instagram. I’m almost as addicted to Instagram as I am to Pinterest, if you can believe that.)
Anyway…I got to spend lots of quality time with the teenager this summer. She was a Color War Captain at camp. Not sure why they picked her, since she clearly is the shy and retiring type who would never dream of dressing up in green from head to toe to support her team.
I also got to go to the ball game with the Southern husband, who is inexplicably a Yankee fan. I’ve tried so many times to point out The Irony Of It All, but he’s a mystery. Personally, I’m in it for the hot dogs…why do hot dogs taste SO much better when you eat them in the ballpark?
By the way, this is what happens to your living room when you go the game on Cap Day. Sigh.
I blogged a lot. You probably know that. I am working on a few new things that I’m going to add to the blog this fall, because summertime is the time of year that gives you the chance to ponder stuff. Or maybe it was the olive oil on my desk. (Don’t ask, I can’t even remember why!)
We ate outside. We ate outside at home, we ate outside when we went out to eat…there’s something about eating outside that makes me feel like I am on vacation even when I’m not. When you can eat while looking at a view like this, can you really feel any other way?
I practically moved IN to our local farmer’s market. Leeks and strawberries and tomatoes, oh my!!
And every now and then, I did nothing. Glorious, lazy nothing at all.
I still have a few summer treats left to come, including a trip up to Vermont and our annual Labor Day Grilled Pizza Festivities. Did you get to do all your favorite summer things this yet? There’s still time to make grilled shrimp rolls…here’s my favorite recipe for ’em.
- 1½ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Fresh ground pepper
- 4 hot dog rolls
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat grill to high. Combine shrimp, olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt in a bowl and mix well. Spread shrimp in a single layer in a grill pan and grill until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Remove and cool while you make the dressing.
- Combine mayo, celery, dill, and juice in a medium bowl. Add remaining salt, and grind in pepper to taste. Cut shrimp into chunks and add to dressing.
- Grill rolls until they are toasted to your liking. Divide shrimp mixture among rolls and serve (give people forks just in case...these guys are a little messy!
Recipe adapted from Taste of the South
Grilled Marinated Shrimp with Salsa Fresca from Leite’s Culinaria
Grilled Shrimp Panzanella from Framed Cooks
Fresh Pea Risotto with Spicy Grilled Shrimp from Closet Cooking