I think we also may have had steak that night. I really couldn’t tell you, because I am seriously still dreaming happy, besotted dreams of warm grilled Caesar salad with lightly charred edges and bits of toasted cheese and silky, salty dressing grilled right into it and just a perfect hint of lime.
I’m never ever going back, and you need to come with me. Grill that salad!!
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime zest
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, tops and bottoms trimmed (make sure you leave enough of the bottom core to hold the lettuce together) and cut into quarters lengthwise
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Make the dressing: mash the garlic together with the anchovies until they make a paste. Put the paste in a small bowl and whisk in the egg yolks and the mustard. Now add the olive oil in a slow stream, whisking as you go, until combined. Add the Worcestershire sauce and vinegar, give it a taste and add pepper as needed.
- 2. Make the vinaigrette: Combine all the ingredient except for salt and pepper in a small jar and shake vigorously. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3. Brush the lettuce quarters with olive oil. Grill them over medium flame until they are golden and a little charred in places, about 1-2 minutes.
- 4. Take them off the grill and brush them thoroughly with the dressing, working some of the dressing in between the outer leaves. Put them back on the grill and sprinkle with cheese. Close the cover for about a minute, just until the cheese starts to toast.
- 5. Take lettuce off the grill, drizzle lightly with the vinaigrette and serve!
Adapted just a tad from The New York Times
Filet Mignon Carpaccio with Caesar Salad from Framed Cooks
Asparagus Caesar Salad from Sassy Radish
Caesar Salad Burger from Leite’s Culinaria