I should start by saying that for years, I was a romaine lettuce kind of girl. I walked right by those kind of freaky-looking heads of frisee lettuce without a second glance. And then, one day, something came over me (I actually think it was a ROCKING great salad that I ate at the always wonderful Harvest restaurant in beautiful Closter, New Jersey) and all of the sudden I have abandoned my long-standing relationship with romaine and have fallen hard for the frisee.
This salad is one that is good enough to stand on its own as a light supper, but if you are looking for an elegant salad to start off a festive spring dinner party, look no further! This one starts off with grilling one of my favorite spring vegetables, the lovely asparagus. (And if you can’t work grilling asparagus into your dinner party routine, just roast them in the oven…they will work just fine that way.) Then all you need to do is arrange a little frisee lettuce on each plate, arrange a few asparagus in a criss-cross pattern on top, drape a little prosciutto on the sides, and drizzle the whole thing with a teeny bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Scatter a little freshly grated parmesan on the top and you are in salad heaven.
- 16 asparagus spears (use thicker asparagus for this recipe)
- Olive oil for grilling
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
- 1 head frisee lettuce
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil for garnish
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat grill to medium high. Brush asparagus spears with olive oil and grill until softened and slightly charred, 3-5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Cut frisee lettuce into bite sizes pieces and divide among four plates. Arrange four asparagus spears on top of lettuce. Drape a prosciutto slice on each side of the asparagus.
- Drizzle each plate with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Scatter grated parmesan on top and serve.
- Serving Size: 4