Donut Chips

Here’s how it all happened.  We were driving by the local Dunkin Donuts, and the car somehow turned into the parking lot, and I somehow got out and somehow bought a 25 pack of glazed Dunkin Donuts munchkins.  You know…the soft, squishy kind with the shiny sugar coating on the outside.

The next thing I knew, I was in my kitchen cutting them in half and sprinkling the cut side with a healthy dose of cinnamon sugar.  Then before I knew it, I was heating my panini press up to 375 degrees (about medium on the heat setting) and very carefully placing the donut halves cut side up on the press.  Then I put the lid down and toasted them for exactly 40 seconds.

When I opened the lid, they had transformed into flat, chip-sized versions of their former selves.  The sugar had caramelized on both sides.  I scooted them off the press and onto a cookie rack until they were completely cool and crisp and addictive.

And then suddenly, they were gone!  I might have thought the whole thing was a dream, except that I distinctly remember the Southern husband having a fine old time cleaning the hardened melted sugar OFF of the panini press a few hours later.  Luckily, I had some donut chips for him afterwards to make it up to him.

The end.  Except for the recipe.  :)

Recipe inspired by Doughnut Chips recipe in CHRISTMAS WITH SOUTHERN LIVING 2011

Donut Chips

Serves: 50 chips
  • 25 soft glazed donut holes (I used Dunkin Donuts Munchkins)
  • ¼ cup cinnamon sugar
  1. Preheat panini press to 375 degrees, or medium on the heat setting
  2. Cut the donut holes in half and sprinkle the cut sides liberally with cinnamon sugar
  3. Place the donut halves cut side up on the panini press. (You will have to do this in batches, they won't all fit at once.) Close the press, push down lightly and toast for 40 seconds.
  4. Open the press and quickly scoot the chips onto a rack to cool. They will get crispier as they cool.
  5. NOTE: Clean-up of the panini press will be a little easier if you get some of the melted sugar off of it while it is still hot. Take a big wad of paper towels and VERY CAREFULLY wipe down the press. It won't get all the sugar off, but it will make getting the rest of it off easier once the press has cooled down. Trust me, the donut chips will be worth the panini clean-up. :)

Comments

1. says

HOW DID YOU THINK OF THIS!?!?!? A dunkin donuts just opened up across the street from me. Literally. these are dangerous times in which we live.

• Kate says

Hmm – I’ve never even seen a George Foreman grill so I don’t know (maybe one of my readers will?) If it has a top and a bottom grilling section like a panini press and you can make the top press down on the bottom, I guess you could. You need the heat on both sides of the chip, and you need some pressure to flatten them out.

• Abra says

A. to my own Q.: The George Foreman doesn’t quite get hot enough or press down tight enough. But I did end up with basically fried donuts, so win-win. :)

2. Wendy Bloedt says

FABULOUS POST!

p.s. now you’re just being cruel. :)

p.s.s. i can’t wait to tell my kids we are having spaghetti cake and donut chips. it will totally freak them out.

• Kate says

That’s what I did! (And I thought I practiced extreme self-control by not getting me a full-sized jelly donut while I was in there.)

3. ruthie says

Mix yourself a little bit of gorgonzola cheese with some mascarpone or whipped cream cheese and put a dollop on those sweet and crispy nibbles Salt and sweet, they can’t be beat! Uh…think I’ve had too much caffeine. 😉 Anyway, you could serve them as appetizers with some nice spritzy flavored waters before dinner. Yeah, yeah, I need to get my own blog going again and quit riffing on yours, but yours is one of my favorites. And you have such good ides! Does that make it okay?

4. CW says

Would there be a way to do this where the outside id crispyhbut the inside is soft and warm… kinda like an elephant ear?

• Kate says

I think if you didn’t cut them in half and didn’t press as hard you might get that effect…I didn’t try it that way, but it’s worth a whirl! I’d still roll the outside in the cinnamon sugar though. If you try it, let me know how it comes out!

5. Holley says

HI Kate, I did a similar thing with Krispy Kremes glazed donuts a few years ago, it may be the single best thing I have ever eaten, and I have eaten a lot. I did have this gnawing feeling that I was selling my soul to the devil when I was eating them, like people probably feel when they do crack for the first time, like “oh this isn’t going to be good” Since then I have made the vow only to have them once a year, instead of every four minutes….

• Kate says

Yes, they are DEFINITELY addictive – it’s a good thing my panani press is stored behind closed cabinet doors! :)