Okay everyone, the Framed Cooks makeover celebration continues with another cookbook giveaway, but unless you want to scroll right down to the end, you’ll have to live through some of my meandering along through why I had to make this recipe today. I looked out my window today, and spring had sprung! The birds were chirping, the sun was shining, and my little cherry tree decided to burst into beautiful bloom overnight. When the cherry tree blooms, I think summer can’t be far away. Which means I have to make immediately make blueberry muffins. Who knows why.
Of course, this did mean I needed blueberries, which aren’t quite in season yet, so I paid about a million dollars for a box of out of season blueberries at my local farmer’s market. You gotta do what you gotta do.
But the recipe I had in mind wasn’t a traditional blueberry recipe. Nope, I had my eye on the recipe from the new Food 52 cookbook. The coconut blueberry muffin recipe. Toasted coconut, just a hint of sugar, and a whole lot of blueberries. Oh yes.
Can you stand it? It kept me from ripping off the wrapper and eating the muffin for, oh, five minutes or so. (I save the little cardboard doggie toppers for another time, though. I have all kinds of plans for those.)
So if you are in the mood for a fabulous blueberry muffin that is a little unusual, these babies are for you! And you know what also might be for you? The fantastic cookbook they came from, which is The Food 52 Cookbook, from the equally fantastic folks at the Food 52 website.
All you need to to is head on over to my Framed Cooks Facebook page by clicking here, and click the Like button, and then come on back here and leave me a comment telling me you liked it. And if you have already liked it, leave me a comment telling me that too. And if you aren’t a Facebooker, leave me a comment telling me how you shared Framed Cooks in whatever way you like. Pinning, Stumbling, Emailing – I love ‘em all. Then on Sunday I’ll post up two lucky winners of two wonderful Food 52 cookbooks. In the meantime, make muffins! It will make summer come that much faster…I just know it!
This contest is now closed, but please enjoy the recipe!
Serves: 12 muffins
- 2 cups plus one tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. (If you don't have a sifter, you can get the same result by putting these ingredients into a fine mesh strainer over the bowl and stirring them until everything has fallen through the mesh into the bowl below.)
- Stir in coconut.
- Mix together egg, butter and milk until well mixed. I do this by putting them all into a mason jar and shaking! Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Toss the blueberries gently with flour (this is to keep them from sinking to the bottom of your muffins). Fold them gently into the muffin batter.
- Divide the batter among muffin cups. I like to do this with a large cookie scoop - less mess!
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the muffin tin, and then remove from the tin and finish cooling on a cooling rack.
Recipe adapted just a little from The Food 52 Cookbook