8 strips bacon, cut into 1/4 inch squares
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold buttermilk
8 tablespoons melted and cooled butter, plus two more tablespoons melted butter to brush on top
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Fry bacon in 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate and cool to room temperature.
2. Whisk flour, pepper, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cooled bacon, and salt in large bowl.
3. Combine buttermilk and 8 tablespoons melted butter in medium bowl, stirring until butter forms small clumps.
4. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula until just mixed.
5. Turn batter out onto a clean floured surface - I used a Silpat for this part. Pat into a square that is about 1 inch high. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out round biscuit dough circles. If you don't have a biscuit cutter, a drinking glass that is about 2 inches wide will work just as well.
6. Place onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until tops are golden brown and crisp, 12 to 14 minutes.
7. Brush biscuit tops with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Transfer to wire rack and let cool 5 minutes before serving.