Is there anything better than warm, wonderful, comforting chicken with biscuits?
Yes! Super-duper-easy chicken with biscuits cooked in the slow cooker and then finished with a little bit of cream and some baby peas so that it is tender and creamy and perfect. In this recipe, you cook up a batch of biscuits right before you are ready to serve the chicken, split them in half, and put the bottom half of each biscuit in each bowl. Ladle the chicken over the top, and then top with the biscuit top. I like to break it into a few pieces to spread the biscuit merriment around.
A few words about biscuits, since we are on the subject. You can take the easiest route and just buy some at the supermarket ready-made…they will be just fine if you heat ’em up in the microwave. You can take the second easiest route and make the kind in the tube. Let’s face it – we all love those. You can make super-easy drop biscuits out of Bisquick. The recipe is on the box, and they are always great.
Or, you can finally rise to the challenge that the Southern husband has been tossing down in front of you for years, and make true Southern biscuits like his mama did. For this, you have to hunt down one particular type of flour that is only available in the South. This works out much better for a Yankee like me if you have a teenager going to college in South Carolina (go you Clemson Tigers! Orange Bowl! Woot!)
And that is White Lily flour. I got me some.
If you don’t live down South, you can find it by clicking here. And I do have to say, they did turn into lovely light golden biscuits. Yum, yum. So start those slow cookers, because now that we are heading into the heart of winter, it’s definitely chicken and biscuit season. Mmmmmm.
- ¾ pound carrots (about 4), cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 8)
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- kosher salt and black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 biscuits, split
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, toss together the carrots, celery, onion, and flour. Place the chicken on top and season with the poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the wine and broth.
- Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 1⁄2 to 3 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
- Thirty minutes before serving, prepare the biscuits.
- Ten minutes before serving, remove the chicken and shred into bite sized pieces. Return chicken to slow cooker and add the peas, cream, and ½ teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Cover and cook until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- To serve, place the bottom halves of the biscuits in shallow bowls, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining biscuit halves.