- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus sprigs for serving
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 cups mild jarred salsa (about 1½ 16-ounce jars)
- 1 avocado, cut into pieces
- Heat broiler. In a bowl, combine the beef, scallions, tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Shape the mixture into 1-inch balls (about 24) and place on a broilerproof baking sheet. Broil until beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, puree the salsa with 1 cup water. Transfer to a large saucepan, add 2 cups water, and bring to a boil.
- Add the meatballs, reduce heat, and simmer until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Serve the soup with the avocado, cilantro sprigs, and tortilla chips (if desired).
Recipe adapted from Real Simple