Ice Cream Mini Scones

Okay, so this is one of those recipes where you read it and you say NO way.  Then you read it again, and you think, could this possibly work?  Because it sounds great…but no way.  It can’t really work.

Can it?

It can.

There are three ingredients in these scones.

1. Self-rising flour2. Vanilla extract3. Vanilla ice cream.

No way, right?

WAY!

This recipe comes from a site called Ice Cream Ireland,  and to make things even more complicated, the original recipe is from Australia, but wherever it comes from, it works.  You take a pint of your favorite vanilla ice cream…

Let it soften for about 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 375 and lesiurely assemble the rest of the ingredients.  Once it has gotten mushy enough to scoop easily, spoon it into a mixing bowl with the flour (make sure you use self-rising) and about a teaspoonful of vanilla.  Mix it up until you have a moist dough.  Now scoop the dough onto a well-floured surface (and prepare yourself, this dough will be cold!  Why this came as a shock to me I have no idea, since it did involve an entire pint of ice cream, but there you go.)

Now take your chilly dough and roll it into a long tube shape.  You’ll need to work in a little more flour as you go, just enough to get it to hold together and feel more floury than ice creamy.  Once you have your nice long tube, about an inch wide and a foot long, then slice it into one inch rounds – these are mini-scones we are making.  Pop them onto a baking sheet and into the oven for about 20 to 25 mnutes, until they are nice and golden.  They will flatten out a tiny bit, but will end up light and fluffy and tasting of vanilla wonderfulness.

Something the things that seem too good to be true actually are.

Ice Cream Mini Scones, from Ice Cream Ireland

Ice Cream Mini Scones

Ice Cream Mini Scones

1 pint vanilla ice cream
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Extra flour for rolling out the scones

1. Let ice cream soften for about 15 minutes, and preheat the oven to 375
2. Add ice cream and flour to mixer and mix until combined into a dough that sticks together.
3. Generously flour countertop or other rolling surface and place dough on flour. Knead it just a little until dough comes together, adding additional flour as needed until you have a dough that is more floury than wet.
4. Roll with your hands into a long thin tube shape that is about 1 inch wide and 12 inches long.
5. Cut dough into 1 inch segments and place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
6. Bake until just turning golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Cool on rack.

Yum

Comments

1. I always knew ice cream was magical…but this is more like a miracle.

2. Becki's Whole Life says:

So fun! I had a bundt cake that was made from ice cream so I DO believe that this will work…plus I am a huge fan of scones – yum!

3. PoetessWug says:

WOW! Really?!!….I'm in!! And since I LOVE Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk so much, I wonder if that'll work too?!! ^_^ It might not….but even not…I'll have FUN trying it!!! Thanks!

4. jillian :: cornflake dreams. says:

yum! sounds fantastic. xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

5. Looks good! And thanks for the link to Ice Cream Ireland! It's a great resource for ice cream recipes!

6. Oh yum!!! I can see why this works, ice cream contains the cream and eggs plus being extra cold is what scones seem to require for success. I once ask a lady from Canada who made excellent scones for tips and she said "It takes cold hands to make scones." So glad you posted this. The best biscuit recipe I make uses whipping cream.

7. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Ummm…this is the most awesome thing ever! I want one now…please!

8. Gina, A Hungry Teacher says:

This recipe is so fun! I saw it the other day for the first time and honestly have been thinking about making it ever since, lol. I can't wait to try, thanks:)

9. Curious Cook says:

This one is a winner and so simple too..Definitely trying! Thanks for unearthing this absolutely smashing treat!

10. Anyone make these yet? I had an email from a scone loving friend who did and he did not like them at all. |Hopefully he will post on here with his thoughts.

I'd be happy to help make suggestions if Catherine's friend can tell us what went wrong. Getting the dough to be the right consistency is definitely the trick here!

12. I am Catherine's friend … the dough is difficult at best to maneuver. Adding flour seemed like the trick, to finally get it to roll into a tube. They baked into small (granted) nuggets almost flavorless. The birds enjoyed them tremendously.

13. More Cowbell says:

I'm so glad you posted this! I tried it out last night, and they really are lovely little scones.

Now, I'm thinking strawberry ice cream scones with clotted cream, and strawberries…maybe coffee ice cream scones with Nutella or whatever chocolate nut spread you prefer. Mmmm.

Thanks!

14. More Cowbell says:

Replying to Catherine's friend…I, too, had trouble getting them into a tube. I ended up putting a mixture of flour and sugar in the palm of one hand and dropping a ball of the dough into that, rolling it around to shape it. It didn't stick to me, and I didn't have to add flour. It wasn't terribly sweet either, just nicely crispy on the outside.

Also, I didn't follow the recipe, just put a scoop or so of ice cream in a bowl and, when it was softened, added just enough flour (add and add again) to get the right, if sticky, consistency for scone dough. It only made four smallish scones, but that was all we wanted — no leftovers. With this technique it's simple to make a new batch fresh every time we want them. ;)

More Cowbell, thanks for the advice! It's definitely a tricky one, but when it works it's such fun!