Pan Roasted Baby Artichokes
- 24 baby artichokes, about 3 pounds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Coarse sea salt
- Lemon wedges or red wine vinegar, for serving.
- 1. Peel off and discard a few outer petals of theartichokes until you reach the pale, tender center. Trim the top andstem end, then quarter each artichoke. There should be no discernible choke, but if there is, remove it with a paring knife. Put theartichokes in a bowl of cold water to which the lemon juice has been added.
- 2.Heat a ½ inch of olive oil over medium heat. Drain and blot the artichokes and when the oil is nearly smoking, carefully add them to the skillet.Season well with salt and pepper, stirring to coat with oil. Let the artichokes brown slightly, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes,until they are tender when probed with a paring knife.
- 3. Add the red pepper, garlic and parsley. Stir well and let sizzle for a minute or so. Transfer the artichokes to aplatter, sprinkle with coarse salt and serve with lemon wedges, or sprinkle sparingly with red wine vinegar. Eat hot, or at room temperature.
Recipe from The New York Times