Things that I previously knew could be shaved:
1. The Southern husband’s beard. I would cry real tears if it ever happened, but I know it’s possible.
2. Ice. And then you add fruit and sugar and other wonderful things and it turns into an amazing dessert. (Note to self: figure out shaved iced recipe for this summer.)
3. Legs. I’m not showing a picture or going into any more detail than this one word. You’re welcome.
A thing that I did not know could be shaved:
But then I read a recipe for shaved asparagus with lemon Parmesan vinaigrette in Bon Appetit and my head started spinning. Paper thin sliced of fresh asparagus that you get from just shaving thick asparagus spears with your handy vegetable peeler. A quick and easy dressing made from olive oil, lemon juice, some grated Parmesan and a little salt and pepper. No cooking involved…just send someone outside to grill up a nice flank steak while you do the shaving. Ten minutes later there you are, with a fresh asparagus dish that will have even picky teenagers cleaning their plate.
For this one, you need to get the thicker asparagus…the delectable little thin ones won’t work for this (although I love them for pretty much anything else involving asparagus!) And all you do is this: grab your handy vegetable peeler. Lay an asparagus down on a sturdy surface (I used a cutting board) and hold the bottom part down firmly. With your other hand, run the peeler up the length of the stalk. I found that using a very slight zig-zag motion as I peeled the asparagus worked like a charm. In less than five minutes I had a very exciting pile of shaved asparagus. (Hey, different strokes for different folks, right?)
Now take that same vegetable peeler and a hunk of Parmesan and peel off a few slices of the cheese, nice and thin. You want about 5 or 6 small slices per serving. Now all you need to do is whip up a lovely little dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and a little fresh ground pepper. Drizzle it over your asparagus, which are so thin and tender that you don’t even need to cook them. And whatever you have going on the grill…chicken, steak, seafood…is going to taste even better with this gorgeous little side dish nestled up next to it.
Asparagus, I love you so.
- 12 large asparagus spears (about 1 lb.), trimmed and peeled
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan plus a piece for shaving
- 1½ Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Working with 1 asparagus spear at a time, use a vegetable peeler to shave spears into long, thin shavings, using a slight zig-zag sawing motion.Transfer to a medium bowl.
- 2. Combine grated Parmesan and lemon juice in a small bowl and slowly whisk in oil until well blended. Season vinaigrette generously with salt and pepper.
- 3. Drizzle vinaigrette over shaved asparagus and toss to coat. Divide asparagus salad among plates.
- 4. Use peeler to shave more Parmesan over salad.
Recipe from Bon Appetit