Oh, how I love asparagus season. That delightful time of year when you can get the little, skinny asparagus that cook up in no time, and that are perfectly, wonderfully tender and delicious no matter how you cook ’em. They are a thing of beauty.
It almost makes you want to take them and pop them in a vase and use them as decorations around the house.
That is, until you remember how scrumptious they are…which is why this super-speedy recipe comes in so very handy. Take those gorgeous asparagus, brush them with a little olive oil, shake on a little salt and pepper and pop them in a hot oven to roast. If you get the thin ones, they will be ready in less than ten minutes. During the last couple of minutes, drop some thin sliced parmesan cheese on top of the asparagus and put them back in the oven for another minute or two for the cheese to melt.
That is just enough time to saute some chopped prosciutto until it is nice and crispy, and to poach up a few eggs (or fry them, depending on what kind of an egg person you are. I am a poached egg person, myself). Then all you do is lay some of those beautifully roasted asparagus on the plate, top with an egg and scatter some of the prosciutto on top. Garnish with a little chopped fresh thyme, and you are set.
Asparagus heaven, right there on your own plate. Does it get any better??
Recipe from from EpicuriousPrint
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 thin prosciutto slices, thinly sliced crosswise
- 20 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 2-ounce piece Parmesan cheese, shaved into strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto; sauté until almost crisp, about 1 minute. Transfer to paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Toss asparagus on sheet with remaining oil, then arrange close together. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over; roast until melted, about 5 minutes. Divide among 4 plates. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, pour enough water into large skillet to reach depth of 2 inches. Add 1 teaspoon salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Crack 4 eggs, 1 at a time, into simmering water. Cook until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, gently transfer 1 egg to atop asparagus on each plate.
- Sprinkle each serving with prosciutto and thyme. Season with salt and pepper; serve.