Brisket Slow-Cooked in Coffee and Brown Sugar
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered, stem end left intact
- 1 pound new potatoes (about 12)
- 1 pound medium carrots, cut into 2 1⁄2-inch lengths
- 2½ pounds beef brisket, trimmed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- ½ cup brewed black coffee
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Season the beef with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and place in the bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add the onion, potatoes, and carrots.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, coffee, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar; pour over the beef and vegetables. Stir things around just a little until some of the sauce reaches the bottom of the pot. Cover and cook on low until the beef and vegetables are tender, 7 to 8 hours.
- Slice the beef across the grain and serve with the vegetables and sauce, sprinkled with the parsley.