2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespooons chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
4 cups milk
3 cups grated Vermont cheddar
1/2 teaspoon Worcerstershire sauce
Pinch dry mustard and salt
20 cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt and pepper
1. Melt butter in soup pot and add onion and garlic. Stir for 3 minutes.
2. Add flour and whisk until mixed, then slowly pour in broth and then milk, whisking until blended. Bring to a slow boil and cook until slightly thickened, 5-10 minutes.
3. Add cheese, Worcerstershire sauce and mustard, stirring until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Now either carefully pour into a blender and puree, or even better, puree right int the pot with an immersion blender.
4. Make roasted cherry tomatoes by tossing with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, spreading on a baking sheet lined with foil, and roasting in a 425 oven for 10 minutes.
5. Ladle into bowls (heating the bowls beforehand in a 200 degree oven is nice!) sprinkle with paprika and garnish with the roasted tomatoes and some croutons.
Recipe adapted from Simply Elegant Country Foods : Downhome Goes Uptown