Avgolemono Soup with Chicken and Orzo
- 6 cups chicken broth (I like the boxed Imagine and Pacific brands)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup uncokked orzo
- 4 large eggs
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded into bite-sized pieces
- 1. Bring broth and dill to a boil in large saucepan and add orzo. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and remove one cup of broth from the pot (without any orzo in it.) Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- 2. Put eggs and juice in blender and process until smooth and frothy. With blender on, slowly pour the one cup of cooled broth that you removed from the pot into the blender and process until smooth. This is to thin out the eggs a little more so they will blend in to the soup obediently later on.
- 3. Add carrot, salt, pepper and chicken to the broth and orzo in the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until orzo is tender. Reduce heat to low.
- 4. Slowly pour in egg mixture, stirring constantly, until soup is heated through, about 1-2 minutes. Do not let it boil or you may get the dreaded curdling. If you do, remind yourself that it is still going to taste just fine.
- 5, Ladle into bowls and serve at once.