By the way, since it is the holiday season and I am feeling very generous and like I need to give credit where credit is due, I would like to go on record as saying that these little candy canes that I used for this recipe? They were individually wrapped (AAAARRRGGGHHH!) and my dashing Southern husband unwrapped them all for me so I didn’t lose my mind.
That is what you call true love and devotion. Peppermint Brownies…make them for someone YOU truly love this Christmas.
- 1¾ sticks unsalted butter
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unbleached flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound (3½ cups) sifted confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk or light cream, or to make smooth and spreadable
- ½ cup chopped candy canes
- 1. Line 9x9 inch baking pan with foil and spray with Pam. Preheat oven to 350.
- 2. Melt the butter and the bittersweet chocolate together in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 3. Beat together eggs, sugar and both extracts until smooth. Add cooled chocolate mixture and mix until well blended.
- 4. Sift flour and salt together directly into the batter and stir until well-combined. Stir in white chocolate. Spread into pan and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with crumbs, not batter. Cool on rack until completely cool.
- 5. Cream butter, salt, and vanilla, beating with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar gradually, beating after each addition. Add 3 tablespoons milk or light cream, beating until smooth. Beat in more milk until desired spreading consistency is reached and the frosting is spreadable.
- 6. Spread over cooled brownies and sprinkle chopped candy canes on top. Using sides of foil, lift brownies out of pan and on to cutting surface. Cut into small pieces.
Recipe adapted with love from Fat Witch Bakery