Bacon Pancakes

I have several things to say about this particular recipe. First of all, while it may look from that picture up there that I have simply artfully arranged a piece of bacon on the top of those pancakes, if you look very closely you will see that the bacon has actually been cooked INTO the pancake itself. Yes, while those pancakes were on the griddle I dropped some bacon on top of the batter and let that bacon cook into the center of the pancake. Wrap your mind around that for a minute. Take deep breaths.

The other thing I want to point out is the placemat. I got these a couple of years ago at Williams Sonoma…they are hard placemats with Twelve Days Of Christmas artwork on them, and they make me so, so happy. They have a whole line of Twelve Days stuff now, and last week when I was in the store I had to restrain myself from buying matching napkins. Actually the Southern husband had to restrain me – he literally took them out of my hands and put them back on the shelf. Probably because he was remembering that we already have napkins that each have the name of one of Santa’s reindeer on them. (I always save Vixen for myself. Which explains a lot about me that you probably didn’t want to know.)

But I digress. The pancakes are as simple as I described them above – you mix up a batch of your favorite pancake batter (I am a faithful Bisquick girl myself), and after you ladle your batter onto the skillet, drop on a piece of cooked bacon. Flip your pancake as usual, and when they are gorgeously brown you will see that the bacon has cooked into the batter.

Now pour on some maple syrup, and ask yourself where this bacon-infused pancake has been all your life?

Bacon Pancakes

Bacon Pancakes

1 batch of pancake batter - your choice. I like the Bisquick recipe, which is happily right there on the back of the box
Butter for griddle
8-12 slices of bacon, depending on how much pancake batter you are making.
Warm maple syrup

1. Preheat of to 400. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lay bacon strips on the foil. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bacon is cooked but not too crispy.
2. Heat griddle or large frying pan over medium heat and melt a tablespoon or so of butter on the griddle. Pour scant 1/4 cups of pancake batter on the griddle. Carefully lay a slice of cooked bacon on top of each pancake. Cook until bubbles appear on the top of the pancake and the underside is golden. Carefully flip and cook for another minute or two until second side is golden.
3. Serve at once with warm maple syrup.

Recipe adapted from Everyday Food

Comments

1. Preppy Pink Crocodile says:

Bacon makes it better is my life motto! Mmmm! I made an amazing bacon peanut brittle last spring that was out of this world great! Salty and sweet and savory and mmmmmm!

2. vanillasugar says:

ha ha i did look twice. love it. bacon art!

3. Marcella Alyssa says:

What a cute idea! P.S. I would never have guessed that you were a vixen-kinda girl! Haha :)

4. Fun idea! I love savory and sweet and I'm sure I would love this dish :)

5. PoetessWug says:

How dare you say the words "bacon" and "pancakes" in the same sentence!! ^_^

6. Bacon makes everything better!

7. how may times a day do I tell you that you're a genius? Many.

8. Amy's Cooking Adventures says:

Delish! I'm going to have to get over my issue with cooking bacon in the house for this one!

9. I'm an aussie so the bacon/ pancake/ maple syrup combo isn't common here but … I absolutely love it. I first had it years ago and it's one of my favoutite breakfasts :D

10. Now make waffle batter, throw in some handfuls of grated cheddar, and cook a piece of bacon into your cheddar waffle! (I can't take credit for this, though- it's in the original version of the Betty Crocker cookbook.) SO GOOD!

11. Karen in Sactown says:

Thank you madam Vixen of bacon!(I think the
    matching napkins sound great… Just sayin'…)

12. UrMomCooks says:

Awesome…cuz doesn't the bacon end up in the syrup anyway???

13. The Cooking Photographer says:

So simple and such a cool idea!! Now I want to make little bacon faces in my pancakes. Is that sick and wrong?

Laura

14. I'd love to try making them. .They look wonderful! such a lovely bacon pancakes, drool:)

15. Recipes of Gulzar says:

Hi

Great information in this post and I think they have a whole line of Twelve Days stuff now, and last week when I was in the store I had to restrain myself from buying matching napkins.

16. CanadianMama says:

Oh man, my hubby is going to LOVE these! Thanks for sharing :)

17. CanadianMama says:

ps. I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now but never commented because I was pregnant and most of the recipes made me nauseous. Now that baby is here I've tried four of your recipes already (and he's only 9 days old)!

18. Pancakes and bacon is a match made in heaven !!!

A match made in heaven is a great way to put it! (CanadianMama, how's the baby doing??) :)