Fig Jam and Cheese Bites

It’s time to face the inevitable: it’s November, and that means we are entering the holiday season.  And with the holiday season come holiday parties.  And with holiday parties come HORS D’OUEVRES.  And the only thing harder than figuring out how to spell hors d’ouevres is figuring out what they should be.  I’m all for a good cheese ball, but there’s nothing like coming across a new nibbles idea that is both easy AND delicious AND different.  Because after the nibbles you still have the main course, the dessert,  and the holiday cards that all still have to be done.

Help is on the way.

Here’s my latest favorite appetizer (and my extended family?  If you are reading this?  Spoiler alert!).

All you need for this one is a nice french bread baguette, your favorite jam (I like fig, but peach or apricot will work just fine), and a nice soft triple cream cheese – Brie, Camembert, or my current obession, D’Affinois.  A little fresh chopped thyme and you are in business.  Cut the baguette into thin slices and spread each slice with a little jam – I used fig jam, but peach or apricot would work just as well.  .  Slather on a bit of soft cheese.  Sprinkle a few bits of chopped fresh thyme.  If you want to get REALLY fancy, grind some fresh pepper on top.

That’s it – you are done!   Not even a recipe needed.   Put them on a nice platter, pour some mixed nuts into a bowl and now all you have to worry about is the next two courses.   And the holiday cards.  And the shopping.  Ho ho ho!

Comments

1. somethingsavory says:

Oh wow, those look really good! I mean really good.

Lately I've been having a lot of bread and cheese dinners. I think this would be nice to mix in! And super easy to make for appetizers. I'll definitely be keeping this recipe in mind!

2. I am deeply trying not to think about any of these things. Firstly because my mother is still insisting on cooking stuffing from a box. and I am in an uproar about it. Secondly because I have to think of something to cook for people who would rather have stuffing from a box. Sigh. Oy.

I need to get myself a baguette, some brie, and fig jam. I think that will solve all my problems.

3. scrambledhenfruit says:

I love appetizers like these that can be made in a jiffy- simple is good!

4. Delicious! I wonder what would happen if you popped them in the oven quickly just to toast the bread? I'm guessing it would be too ooey gooey with such soft cheese… I am sure they are perfect as is and I for one will definitely be making these for Thanksgiving. Thanks!

5. Kate Morgan Jackson says:

Lani: you know, when I was figuring this out I went back and forth on whether to toast the bread. You absolutely could toast it before you put the jam and cheese on…but I decided it would be easier to eat if they were on soft bread rounds. But either would be delicious!

6. These look delicious!

7. Fun and Fearless in Beantown says:

This appetizer is so simple but definitely carries a wow factor. Love it!

8. Perfection! The simplest things are often the best, and especially when you don't spend all day in the kitchen putting them together :) I'm sure your family will love these!

9. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Super tasty! It's nice that it's simple too…you don't want to have to waste all your time on appetizers.

10. I'm stealing this, love it!

11. City Share says:

So you serve them cold? I like that. So many appetizers require perfect timing with the oven. How nice to be able to make something ahead and have it ready to go.

12. Kate Morgan Jackson says:

They are actually at room temperature – but you can definitely do them beforehand, cover them with plastic wrap, and then pull them out a little while before folks arrive.

13. Looks figalicious! (hey, it's Monday, I'm trying to perk myself up here)…perfect appetizer for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm going to try it toasted as well…mmmm….

14. Wow! Thanks to Carrie at Stop Screaming I'm Driving, I was introduced to your blog. LOVE IT! What spectacular ideas, wonderful pictures, and fun write-ups. I am a bit envious

Thanks, and come back and visit often! :)

1. [...] thing), but it is pretty much as easy as it comes, and is currently tied for first place with the fig and cheese bites as my current favorite nibble before the main event.   If you have a supermarket that sells [...]