This is one of these things that I make and then think, how could I possibly have lived all these years on this earth and only be making these NOW? As a devoted member of the Sweet and Salty Club, you’d think I would have seen the light ages ago, but it took until last weekend for me to figure this out…and let me just say that it was worth the wait. Salty crunchy potato chip meets semi-sweet chocolate, and if you had trouble only eating one chip before, you are completely doomed now.
Here’s what you do: grab a cookie sheet and line it with a sheet of wax paper. Tear open a bag of ridged potato chips (the normal kind might not be thick enough to hold the chocolate) and pick out the best looking ones. Melt about 6 ounces of chocolate chips by nuking them for 30 seconds at a time until they are smooth and creamy. I used semi-sweet Ghiradelli chips for this, because Ghiradelli is my chip of choice whenever I am making something that requires serious chocolate. Maybe it is because the Southern husband and I got engaged in San Francisco (home of the Ghiradelli factory).
Maybe it is because it is fantastic chocolate. Maybe it is both.
Anyway, once you have your chocolate nice and melted, you just dip half of each chip into the the melty chocolate, lay it tenderly on the cookie sheet, sprinkle the tiniest bit of sea salt on the chocolate, and then put the whole cookie sheet in the fridge for about 20 minutes or so.
Then put the chocolate covered chips on a nice plate and stand back. Eyes will widen. Smiles will form. And you will wonder why this took you so long to figure out. You and me both.
- 24 ridged potato chips
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Kosher or sea salt (don't use regular table salt, it won't taste as good)
- Lay a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet
- Melt chips in the microwave by heating for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each 30 second interval until smooth
- Dip each chip halfway into melted chocolate and lay on wax paper. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt.
- Cool in fridge until hardened, then get out the way. These are addictive!!