Chocolate-Dipped Potato Chips

This is one of these things that I make and then think, how could I possibly have lived all these years on this earth and only be making these NOW?  As a devoted member of the Sweet and Salty Club, you’d think I would have seen the light ages ago, but it took until last weekend for me to figure this out…and let me just say that it was worth the wait.  Salty crunchy potato chip meets semi-sweet chocolate, and if you had trouble only eating one chip before, you are completely doomed now.

Here’s what you do: grab a cookie sheet and line it with a sheet of wax paper.  Tear open a bag of ridged potato chips (the normal kind might not be thick enough to hold the chocolate) and pick out the best looking ones.  Melt about 6 ounces of chocolate chips by nuking them for 30 seconds at a time until they are smooth and creamy.  I used semi-sweet Ghiradelli chips for this, because Ghiradelli is my chip of choice whenever I am making something that requires serious chocolate.  Maybe it is because the Southern husband and I got engaged in San Francisco (home of the Ghiradelli factory).

Maybe it is because it is fantastic chocolate.  Maybe it is both.

Anyway, once you have your chocolate nice and melted, you just dip half of each chip into the the melty chocolate, lay it tenderly on the cookie sheet, sprinkle the tiniest bit of sea salt on the chocolate, and then put the whole cookie sheet in the fridge for about 20 minutes or so.

Then put the chocolate covered chips on a nice plate and stand back.  Eyes will widen.  Smiles will form.  And you will wonder why this took you so long to figure out.  You and me both.

Chocolate-Dipped Potato Chips

• 24 ridged potato chips
  • 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Kosher or sea salt (don't use regular table salt, it won't taste as good)
  1. Lay a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet
  2. Melt chips in the microwave by heating for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each 30 second interval until smooth
  3. Dip each chip halfway into melted chocolate and lay on wax paper. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt.
  4. Cool in fridge until hardened, then get out the way. These are addictive!!

Comments

1. Heather @ Side of Sneakers says

I'm one of the strangest people in the world and don't like chocolate or potato chips….but I think you might be on to something when you put them together :)

2. beewaits says

There is nothing I love more than salt and vinager crips and a chocolate bar. Total perfect combo…..nice to see them coming together.x

3. Andrea says

YUM! I make "Haystacks" during the holidays which is just broken up Ruffles and some peanuts mixed up with melted chocolote until all covered, drop onto waxed paper with a tablespoon, let set. I can't ever make them fast enough…people gooble them up and as they're eating them, wonder what the secret is 😉

4. Brenda says

I just found your blog and OMG, I love it!!! I was googling molasses cookie recipes. I'm so glad google sent me to you, lol. Just wanted to say hi and I'm going to enjoy looking around!

5. Shelly says

It's 1:00am in the morning and all I can do is stare at these potato chips. That's a midnight snack just waiting to happen!

6. PoetessWug says

WOWIE WOW WOW!!!!! I can't believe "I" never thought of this before either!!!! Ooooo! Can I please share this post and pictures on my blog?! Pretty please…with chocolate on top?!! ^_^ *Leaping for Joy!*

7. Kate Morgan Jackson says

Always happy to have any post/pictures shared on other blogs, just please always link back to me. :) Happy weekend!!

8. UKZoe says

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

9. smalltownoven says

Sometimes I eat with my chips in one hand and a bar of chocolate in the other, alternating bites. This is clearly a more sophisticated and acceptable method. I'll have to try it out!

10. LilHamHam says

hmm wouldn't this work just as well with nutella and chips? without all that nuking and fridging xD

11. FramedCooks says

I don't have a lot of experience with Nutella – I'm not sure how/if it hardens, which is part of what you need for this…but if you try it come back and let us know if it works!