Molasses Chocolate Chunk Cookies, And My Summer Vacation!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons bread flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon dark molasses, not blackstrap
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- sea salt for sprinkling on top of cookies just before baking
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the granulated sugar and molasses until no large molasses clumps remain.
- Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the homemade brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for about 20 minutes, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Lightly sprinkle each dough ball with a few flecks of sea salt.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted slightly from Joy The Baker , who adapted it from Alton Brown.