Strawberry Sherbet

I am always too enthusiastic when it comes to buying fresh summer strawberries. They just look so dang good in the market, and I pile them into my cart with reckless abandon. But strawberries are fragile little things, and before I have been able to eat my way through the giant strawberry pile they start looking a little peaked. (I love that word, peaked. I just looked it up to make sure I had the definition absolutely correct, and it means “weak and wan.” It reminds me of books like The Secret Garden.)

Anyway, this recipe is the answer to peaked strawberries. When they start to get a little weak and wan and sad and dried-looking, it’s time to spring into action and make this absolutely mouthwatering silky smooth dessert, and all you need are the berries, a few other assorted ingredients, your food processor and your freezer. No need to haul out the ice cream maker.

Here’s all you need to do. Cut the stems and any really suspicious looking areas off your sad strawberries. If you have any really big berries, cut them in half, and then put them all in a single layer on a cookie sheet, and freeze them solid. Once they are frozen, you drop them in the food processor with a little vanilla yogurt, some strawberry jam and a little bit of sugar. I like this brand of jam in the strawberry variety (although I have been known to fudge it if I have something in the red variety of jam that doesn’t precisely fit the recipe.)

Press the button. About 60 seconds later, you will have this:

Creamy, sweet and delicious. Bring on those berries!

Strawberry Sherbet

• 1 pint ripe strawberries, tops cut off
  • ½ cup vanilla yogurt, any variety
  • 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  1. Lay berries on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Freeze until solid.
  2. Place berries and all remaining ingredients in food processor and process until smooth. You may have to stop the processor and scrape the sides a few times to make sure all the frozen berries are processed.
  3. Serve at once. It is amazing with a little fresh grated lemon peel on top, if you have any handy.

Comments

1. Joanne says

This has to be the healthiest frozen sherbet ever! And so easy! I think I might just have some peaked strawberries in the fridge right now…

2. Mel says

Ooo, I just bought some today because they looked so good, but I'm not sure we can eat them before they are peaked. (btw, that is a fun word to use) So I think we'll try this in a couple days.

3. City Share says

Wow, that looks great. I never thought about freezing the fruit first. I thought I was out of luck because I didn't have an ice cream maker. This could be a dangerous discovery.

4. Emmelyn's Mommy says

Wow! I just have to tell you that I found you via Snackgirl's blog and you are my new favorite blog! Love your recipes!

5. Millie Motts says

I just stumbled upon your blog – what a treat! Beautiful photos and such yummy recipes. I have a "to make" list started…

6. Alina says

I've been thinking of making a plain strawberry sorbet but I figured it would be too watery… now I have your wonderful recipe with yogurt and jam! It looks mega-smooth and flavourful!

7. Lorie says

I MADE THIS LIKE 20 MINS AGO ; had a major craving and luckily I saw this recipe just a couple of days ago . Gotta say , this was MAJOR YUMM! I can't get enough of this ! I'm going to try the same thing tomorrow , except with blueberries 😀 hopefully it will turn out equally yummmy

• Kate says

This is one of my oldest and most favorite recipes…even though I’ve made it a zillion times, I still can’t believe how simple and GOOD it is. :)

8. Trinity says

My family doesn’t eat jam often, so unless I use up all the jam at once, it’ll probably stay in the back of the pantry forever. Would it be possible to substitute honey for jam, do you think? Maybe that mint-infused honey or cinnamon-infused honey can come into play now. 😀

• Kate says

The jam is basically a sweetener, so I don’t see why not…if you try it will you come back and let us know how it turns out? :)

• Trinity says

Oh man, no hint of mint to be found. You’re right about that sweetener. Two tablespoon of honey weren’t enough to make it very sweet, even with the sugar. If I try it again, it’ll have to be 4 tbs of honey, or however much required to make it hit my sweet limit. The strawberry taste is still delicious, though!

9. Debby says

I have the opposite problem, I can’t keep strawberries long enough to make anything out of them. I bought a 3lb package tonight and ate half of them before and after dinner. Sweet hubby was only good for 4 strawberries. Hopefully I can try this recipe with the rest tomorrow… if i don’t see them at breakfast first. :) This is another good chance to try the chocolate mint, Thanks for mentioning mint Trinity!