This quick and easy recipe for banana bites combines everyone’s favorite fruit into a chocolate covered treat, making the perfect little frozen snack!
Oh, I love these little guys. Not only are they DELICIOUS, and not only do they feature fruit, so you can tell yourself they are just a little bit healthy, but they are also awesome for using up those bits and pieces that accumulate in your cupboard (if you are me, anyway.) You know what I mean – the last quarter cup of shredded coconut in the bag, the end of that package of mini-chocolate chips, etc etc.
Anyway, start with a bunch of bananas. I love bananas.
And melt up your favorite kind of chocolate. Milk, dark, bittersweet, your call. You could even use white chocolate if you are a white chocolate kind of person.
Then lay out little separate dishes of whatever sweet crunchy odds and ends you have on hand. You cut up the bananas into bite size chunks, dip them in the melted chocolate and then roll them in the coatings. In my case I used coconut (which I toasted for a few minutes first…)
And chopped peanuts (sweet and salty, whoo-hoo!)
And the end of that bag of toffee bits that I was beginning to think I would have in my cupboard forever (can’t even remember what I bought them for in the first place!)…
And my personal favorite, crushed Oreo cookies. This little banana bite isn’t as handsome as the others, but man, did he taste good!
Pop them in the freezer for a few hours and that’s it. Chocolate, bananas, and you cleaned up your cupboard. What could be better??
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Assorted toppings for coating bananas (such as crushed oreos, chopped Butterfinger or Heath candy bars, chopped peanuts, and/or toasted shredded coconut)
- 3 bananas, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Stir chocolate and oil in heavy small saucepan over very low heat just until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or nonstick foil, and put your toppings in separate dishes.
- Carefully dunk each banana slice in chocolate making sure it is totally covered. Dip the chocolate covered banana in the topping, and then pop it on the lined baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining bananas, chocolate, and toppings. Freeze the bananas until they are firm and then enjoy! Store any leftovers (hahahahaha!) in the freezer.
Recipe slightly adapted from Bon Appetit