Mascarpone Semifreddo with Strawberries and Black Pepper Honey
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped or ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (1 cup) mascarpone
- ⅓ cup confectioners sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 quart strawberries, cleaned and sliced into quarters
- ¼ cup wildflower honey, or any unfiltered honey
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- To make the semifreddo; In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine yolks and 1 cup sugar. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, then turn mixer to high and beat for an additional 5 minutes, or until the yolks are light and fluffy. Transfer the yolk mixture to a large mixing bowl. In a clean, dry bowl of a stand mixer, combine heavy cream, vanilla bean seeds (or vanilla extract) and confectioners sugar. Whisk cream mixture on medium-low for 2 minutes, then increase speed to medium and whisk until soft peaks form. Add mascarpone, and whisk on low until incorporated. Gently fold cream mixture into yolk mixture, until there are no streaks. Transfer semifreddo to a frezzer proof container. Freeze at least 8 hours before serving.
- To make the black pepper honey; Combine honey and pepper in a bowl and stir thoroughly.
- To assemble; Scoop semifreddo into serving dishes, top with strawberries and drizzle with a small amount of black pepper honey. Let semifreddo stand for 3 to 5 minutes to soften before serving.