2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
2 ribs celery, chopped fine
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
1 pound ground pork/veal/beef combined
1 egg, beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 1/2 cup dried pasta (I use tiny shells, but your choice)
1 pound fresh baby spinach
1. Heat oil in a deep large saucepan over medium heat and add carrots, celery, onion and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper, cover pot and cook veggies for 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
2. While the veggies cook, combine meat, egg, garlic, cheese, crumbs and nutmeg.
3. Uncover pot and add broth and water and bring to a boil. When soup boils, reduce heat a bit and start rolling the meat mixture into very small meatballs, dropping them in the soup as you go.
4. When you are done with the meatballs, add the pasta, stir, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. When pasta is tender, stir in spinach. When spinach is wilted, the soup is ready. Taste, adjust seasonings, light some romantic candles and serve.