This recipe for caramel apple cake is packed with spicy apples and topped with a decadent caramel glaze. All your apple cake dreams come true!
Apples, cinnamon, walnuts, cake, caramel glaze. That’s all I have to say, right? I have you at those four items and hello? This recipe certainly had ME at hello. I found it in the Costco Connection magazine, which just goes to show you that Costco does, indeed, have everything that anyone could possibly want, including a fabulous recipe for a rich, tender, sweet apple cake that will make your whole kitchen smell like a happy autumn day.
I should warn you that like most things associated with Costco, this is not only wonderful but, well, LARGE. Which is not at all a bad thing in terms of making friends…I sent the generous Southern husband into work with a lot of it the next day, and he said it was a big hit. The cake part is lovely — moist and sweet and packed with apples. But let’s face it…the captivating part of this particular baby is the caramel glaze.
When you are done with the cake and it has cooled a bit, you make the glaze (out of butter and sugar and cream — are you panting yet?)…but wait, it gets better. Before you pour the glaze over the cake, you take a skewer and you poke holes all over the top of the cake, so that when you pour the glaze over it, not only does it coat the top of the cake, but it also sinks down into the middle of the cake via all those little holes.
I know, it’s almost too much to think about without fainting. Caramel Apple Cake. Go make some.
I know, it’s almost too much to think about without fainting. Caramel Apple Cake. Go make some!Print
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325 and butter and flour a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of granulated sugar and the vegetable oil. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix the flour mixture into the sugar mixture. Stir in the apples, nuts and vanilla and pour into the prepared pan. Bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool while you prepare the glaze.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small pot over medium low heat. Add 1/4 cup each of brown and granulated sugar along with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and stir for two minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, pour in the cream and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Poke holes all over the top of the cake with a skewer or a toothpick and pour the glaze over the top. Let it settle for a few minutes and serve!
Adapted from Costco Connection magazine